Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The UNCF HBCU Empower Me Tour Hits The ATL

After going to Spelman and Morehouse last year, we hit the final jewel in the AU Center crown, Clark Atlanta University. As expected we were given the royal treatment by everyone - students and administrators - and we had a great time. The Greeks came over to the Tour Zone to add some flavor with some hard stepping, Wells Fargo and CNN had giveaways and words of opportunity for attendees and of course our celebs closed the day by dropping science and humor.

Again, we like to sum it up using your words so here are a few of the comments we received:

"On Saturday November 6, 2010 I had the overwhelming opportunity of working with the UNCF HBCU Empower Me tour. This was a blessing to me as well as those who attended the workshops held by our special guest panel members such as Malik Yoba, and Tatyanna Ali, just to name a few. This was very beneficial in my learning process of how to prepare myself for my future in college as well as in life. This was a tremendous event that had an influence upon many especially our younger generation. I highly advise any and every one to attend any event such as this in the future, you will not regret it. I promise!"

Paulette Carter | Business Major

To Trent T. Daniel:

"Good Afternoon Mr Daniel! I was actually the gentlemen who got up and did the improv with Tatyana Ali! First, I would like to thank you so much for coming to my school and speaking to us. You, along with the panel, had such a huge impact on each and everyone of us that was there. Especially me. I would have never imagined I would be able to stand on a stage and act with my childhood crush! Thank You..."

Jude Vincent


"I thought the event was powerful and a nurturing event that not only empowered African Americans to be academically empowered but to search for your own uniqueness. I liked working the event because I worked on the film crew with celebrities such as Malik Yoba, and Tatyana Ali, just to name a few. This really was a great networking opportunity and I look forward to next year's tour."

Leno Bradby | Mass Media: Film and TV Major


We had another great day on the road and can not wait until the next tour stop!...

1 comment:

  1. My name is Jaime L. Woodard, the founder of We Deserve Our Lives Back.com this web site is dedicated to promoting legislation that will allow many first time, non-violent ex-offenders an opportunity to return to society and regain their lives as productive citizens. They will be given the opportunity to become productive citizens who are free from the lifetime stigma of a federal felony conviction. This stigma has become a civil death sentence for many.
    Most citizens believe that when someone who made a mistake has completed the punishment decreed by the court, that person has "Paid Their Full Debt to Society" and are thus free to resume their lives as they were before. Nothing is further from the truth. Under current Federal law, someone convicted of a federal felony will suffer the collateral consequences and lifetime stigma of the conviction, regardless of the magnitude of the offense.
    In our judicial system, the magnitude of the felony offense determines the degree of punishment decreed by the courts. The collateral consequences suffered upon completion of an offender's court ordered punishment is not. Under federal law, the post conviction treatment of a non-violent offender is the same as that of someone who may have committed the most egregious of violent offenses. There is a remedy for this injustice for those who have violated state laws. Many jurisdictions allow ex-offenders to apply for expungement of their criminal record. State courts grant the request for expungement in many instances. There is no such option available to the ex-offender under current federal law.
    In 1999, I was convicted of Theft by Mail; and ten years later, I continue to pay for that valueless moment in my life. True, I belittled myself and inconvenienced many people, but ten years later, I should not have to continue to pay for that same mistake. I deserved my punishment, I deserved the hardship that I encountered after my release, I deserved the denials of employment and having to regain society’s trust, however I, also, deserve my life back.
    Since my release, I have furthered my education so I can have the opportunity to become a productive member of society, yet my Bachelors and, soon, Masters Degree in Social Work will be worthless, due to the fact that the federal guidelines for sentencing never implemented an expungement program. Gainful employment is a stepping stone to productive citizenship. One-time ex-offenders learned from their mistakes and should have a chance to establish a career without any barriers. We are not excusing what we did but just asking for that second chance.
    If you are a first-time, non-violent, ex-federal offender, know anyone who might affected by the unsuccessful reintegration into society after incarceration of a non-violent, federal crime or simply support the idea of giving people a second chance to live their lives, please contact me. I can be reached at 201-966-1251 or jaimelwoodard@gmail.com. My goal is to get 100,000 signatures and present them to our freeholders, representatives and, finally, Congress. Let's eliminate recidivism and get our lives back. Supporters who want to sign the petition or view comments for the H.R. 5492 bill can visit www.wedeserveourlivesback.com and click on the tab, Petition for H.R.5492.
    Jaime Woodard

    ReplyDelete